If you have a car, you know how important it is to keep it in good condition. But what can you do to make sure that your car is safe and well-maintained? Vehicle servicing and auto electricians Christchurch are experts at helping drivers keep their vehicles running smoothly.
In fact, there are several simple steps that you can take yourself to preventative maintenance:
Examine your car’s charging system
To check the charging system, first turn off your engine and remove the negative cable from your battery. Next, disconnect all cables to ensure that there is no power going to any of your car’s components. If you have an automatic transmission, disconnect both ends of its flex plate by removing them with a wrench or ratchet wrench.
With everything disconnected, reconnect one end of each cable and turn on your ignition so that all lights come on (don’t start yet). Use a voltmeter or multi-meter to check each component for voltage readings:
- Starter relay–should read 12 volts DC when tested against ground
- Battery–should read 12 volts DC with engine running but not cranking
Check your car’s tires for wear
- Check the tread depth. Your tires should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread remaining, so check them regularly and have them replaced before they become too worn.
- Check the tire pressure. Low air pressure can cause your car’s handling to become unstable and even cause it to skid or roll over in an accident–not what you want!
Inspect the battery terminals, cables and posts
The auto electricians Christchurch will check the batteries for corrosion and looseness at the terminals. Also check that the cables are in good condition with no wear or damage. The battery posts should be clean and free of corrosion.
If there is corrosion, clean it off with a wire brush and then apply a coat of grease to the posts. Make sure that the battery cables are securely fastened and in good condition with no signs of damage or wear. Clean off any corrosion on the battery terminals using baking soda and water.
Ensure that your tires have sufficient air pressure
With proper tire pressure, you’ll be able to drive safely and efficiently. You should check your tires regularly for the following reasons:
- Improperly inflated tires can affect fuel efficiency, which will cost you money in the long run.
- Low tire pressure can cause uneven wear on the tread as well as poor handling and reduced traction during braking or cornering.
Inspect the windshield wipers and fluid level
- Inspect the windshield wipers and fluid level. Wiper blades should be replaced every 6 months, or when they’re streaking. If your wipers are streaking and you haven’t yet replaced them, it’s time to do so before the winter weather arrives in full force.
- You can also check the wiper fluid level by looking at the reservoir on top of your hood–if it’s low or empty, fill it up with new fluid from an auto parts store before heading out into bad weather conditions.
We hope that you now have a better understanding of what to look out for when it comes to preventive maintenance, as well as how vehicle servicing and auto electricians Christchurch can help you keep your car safe and running well!